Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Recently Reading and Recently Watched Update

I thought I would make mention of my list of recent readings and viewings. I updated it and thought I would say a few words about them.

First, reading-wise. I am in Moby Dick and digging it. I've read about 22 chapters and still have over 100 to go. So far so very good.

Second, the movies. I haven't said much about them and still won't here, (to protect the innocent) but here are a few words about what I have seen since about March or so. I'd be more than happy to discuss further with any of you.

Prince Caspian - I went in pretty confident that I would like it based on my experience with the first and the fact that it was the same director and so on; however, I was stunned at how much I really enjoyed it.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - still great - though some stuff is pretty funny

Nacho Libre - I simply LOVE this movie

A League of Their Own - surprisingly good sports movie, I was on the edge of my seat - not knowing who would win, too much Rosie, but I guess there is usually too much Rosie

I Am Legend (2X) - Trista wanted to watch it so I watched it a second time, overall it was not as good the second time, but the stuff I love about the beginning of the movie I still loved - the lonely, seemingly only human left in the city kinda thing

Vacancy - OK

To Kill A Mockingbird - EXCELLENT

Macbeth - I ended up seeing the Polanski version about three times, becoming obsessed, also saw an animated version

Blood Diamond - pretty good

Beowulf - disappointing for the most part

Live Free or Die Hard - what you'd expect

The Simpson's Movie - better than I had hoped for

WHAT DO I FEEL LIKE WATCHING

I kinda want to mine some ole Gregory Peck movies - maybe I'll tire of him quickly, but that's what I'm feeling at the moment - oh and likely another viewing of FOTR, possibly

14 comments:

Pat said...

Good stuff.

You are the rabid movie watcher among us...

Mighty Tom said...

in the last few weeks - I have viewed quite a few - its been nice just to watch

I tend to watch a lot and then not so many - when I see a good one - it gets me excited about watching movies and then it kind of dies away

C.F. Bear said...

Which Indiana Movie did you see?

Pat said...

Hoosiers?

Pat said...

Rudy!?

Pat said...

Breaking Away?

C.F. Bear said...

I should have put Jones. I have Chucky Cheese making all kinds of silly comments.

Mighty Tom said...

Raiders - the first one - though I guess A League of their Own was filmed in SE Indiana.

Pat said...

If I were Chucky Cheese I could eat crappy pizza and play skeeball EVERY DAY!

C.F. Bear said...

Crappy pizza? My good fellow, that pizza is good stuff. The more crappy pizza, as you call it, you eat the better at skeetball you will become.

Pat said...

It is some of the worst pizza you have to pay for.

C.F. Bear said...

For what it costs I will agree. However, I rarely pay for pizza.

Pat said...

How could I forget?

Dan said...

Gibbs: Beginning of Moby Dick, great - I agree. And not what I was expecting. I love, LOVE the snuggling of Ishmael with Queequog(sp?). See if you tire of the tangental rants about the glories of whaling by, say, chapter 87 or so.

- You still see a lot of movies I wouldn't, but if you want to watch Gregory Peck movies with me, just name the time. And - not sure if you knew this - but if not - amazingly co-incidental - he was Captain Ahab in the 60s-era cinematic Moby Dick.